My Gammill

May 16, 2009

A Beautiful Applique Quilt by Shirley






My customer, Shirley, appliqued this beautiful Hearts quilt. This is the story of the quilt in her words.

"Early in 2007 my friend, Mary and I, (close friends for 50 years) saw the Mystery Quilt in McCall's Quilting Magazine, called "Hearts All-A-Flutter", and decided that we had to make it, long distance. She lived in Wisconsin and I lived in Pasadena, Texas. We have always found many duplicates in our lives, i.e. clothes, household decor, etc., that we thought it would be fun to compare our quilts when finished to see how much alike they are. We progressed each month, eventually referring to our quilts as the "Mystery Monsters" simply because they got larger and larger with each round we added. We had many great talks sharing our techniques and ideas and fun over our progress. Unfortunately, in late 2007 Mary was diagnosed with intestinal cancer and had to suspend her work temporarily until she was able to adjust to chemo and feeling so horrible. I told her I would not continue mine until she could resume working on hers. Her treatments continued to make her very sick, but she would, on better days, continue, taking her work to chemo treatments with her. I was there to visit her in March 2008 and we compared our quilt tops then and , not at all surprising to either of us, we had some duplicate fabrics in each quilt. They looked so much alike! I'm sorry to say, she passed away January 31, 2009. I was with her at that time, and the next day (In Wisconsin) I sat and finished the last inches of the binding she had already started. This quilt was a treasure to make but the real treasures are the memories and wonderful laughs and talks Mary and I shared while completing our last project together. I will never make a quilt that means more to me than this one."

Shirley made some matching pillow shams to go with the quilt. It is quilted with Timeless Hearts. It is such a special quilt with a special story! Thanks for sharing them with us, Shirley!

No comments: