My Gammill

August 21, 2010

Tom Russell

Today I attended a very inspiring presentation given by Tom Russell of the "Simply Quilts" fame. He has done many other things but that is what most of us know him for. He does not quilt in the same "League" as I do. He is way beyond what I can do, BUT he is so enthusiastic about quilting and encouraging others in their own work, that I came away from the meeting feeling very invigorated. These are some of the things that I learned:

"Find a quilter that is as good as your quilt."
This may be strange for me to write on my blog to my quilting customers, but, you need to find someone who will do great work on your quilt (whether that is me or someone else) and you need to improve on your piecing skills with each quilt. We both have a responsibility to improve and help each other to become a better quilter.

"Be the Best Quilter that you can be." 

You can do anything that you want with your quilt. Only YOU need to be happy with it.
Isn't that liberating? There are no rules in the quilting world that can't be broken. You are the only one that needs to love it. "I quilt for me," Tom said.

"Listen to your heart when making a quilt. Have Fun!"

"Learn something new with each quilt. Challenge yourself."

Thank you, Tom! I am ready to try something new!





No comments: