My Gammill

November 06, 2010

Just a piece of my mind...

As I have been quilting this week I have thought about what I could teach you to help me do a better job for you... to help me help you... get it? Whew! The one thing that I thought of was that you need to remove the selvedge from the seam where you piece two pieces of fabric together for your backing. Selvedge has a closer weave to it than the rest of the fabric so it quilts much stiffer than the rest. Just remove it as you sew the seam.

But, I do like for you to leave the selvedge on the outside of the backing because it makes it so much easier for me to pin the straight edge onto the canvas leaders when I put your quilt on the Gammill quilting machine.

So, selvedge off in the center, selvedge on on the outside of the backing.

Does that make sense? Clear as mud?

No comments: